Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Creating a High Octane Culture - Part 6


Emerson said it best in his quote, "What is Success?"

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded."

I take the second sentence into the workplace - "To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children."

One of the best ways to win the hearts and minds of people is to sincerely get to know their kids. I am lucky, I love kids. I have two of my own and sometimes my wife will send us all to time-out.

I can easily slip back into my youth and relate to them. Many times, I enjoy the company of kids more than most adults. I certainly have an inner child that refuses to give up. Just ask my employees about my remote controlled fart machine. But that's a different story.

The most important thing in your employees' lives are their kids (if they have them). Get to know them. It's a three way benefit between the kid, you and your employee. Plus, they're just so darn cute.

If one of your employee's child comes in the office and he is running around the office looking for you, then you've got that employee for life. I mean come on, what better judge of character is there than a child? Children have the best radar for good hearted people. They also can detect slime pretty quickly too.

Here's what I recommend - buy birthday gifts for your employee's children. I do this for all my Next Step kids. Right up until they are 18. Then they get a card after that.

They get the gift in the mail on their birthday. Think the kid will have a positive association about mommy's workplace? Plus, what's more fun than putting a smile on a child's face?

Graham Robert's 4th birthday is coming up this Sunday. He is the little guy in this post.

Happy Birthday Graham! (check your mailbox today). :-)












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home