Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Creating a High Octane Culture - Part 1

I am most proud of the culture we have created at Next Step Magazine. My staff is the best anyone could ask for. They are hard working, loyal and take ownership of their positions.

Our claim to fame is that nobody has ever quit (that I have wanted to stay). Sure, I have had to let some people go, but my core team has stuck with the ship. That's means the world to me.

It's true - by 5:00pm, 99% of my company assets are gone. They have left the building until the next morning.

One of my proudest (and humorous) moments, was when my cousin stopped by Next Step to visit. He was astounded at how loyal and happy the staff was. I walked by as he was talking to a staff member. He asked her if she would take a bullet for me. She said, "We'll, I just had a baby, so now that I am a mother, I am not sure if I would take the bullet, but I would push Dave out of the way and get braised by it for him."

That's big! An employee would get braised for me! Now THAT'S loyalty.

So how does Next Step crate such a culture?

Read on and stay tuned. I am going to tell you about the ten top things we do to create a high octane culture.

Number one is below. Please check back for the remaining nine.

#1 Strategy for High Octane Culture

Recognition!

A person's greatest need is to feel appreciated. And it has to be sincere appreciation. No saying, "Hey Susie, great job picking up that paper clip. You really scooped that thing up!"

It has to be real. When a team member really does a great job and/or goes above and beyond the call of duty, give him/her sincere public recognition. You'll be reinforcing good habits and encourage repeat behavior.

Your employees want to work hard. They want to go the extra mile for you. But if they feel that nobody is watching or nobody cares, that passion gets doused.

At Next Step, we have what's called a monthly DWIT award (Doing Whatever It Takes).

At the end of our monthly company-wide meeting, everyone anonymously votes for the DWIT. I count the votes and announce the winner. It's a suspenseful couple of minutes. Especially for me!

One time, I was on vacation and the staff chose me. I was touched and honored, but forbade them to vote for me again. It's about them!

Anyway, the DWIT winner gets a gift certificate to anywhere they want, a great parking space near the entrance, their name on a plaque and their photo posted near the entrance with a flattering description of their most endearing traits.

It's a nice way to feel appreciated for the whole month.

The DWIT is a Next Step original idea but feel free to steal it. It's easy to implement, fun to do and makes a difference.

Check back soon for #2 Strategy for High Octane Culture!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home