Monday, July 9, 2007

The Future of Local Retail

“Go Back to Home Depot.”

I can’t believe she said that to me.

Being a grassroots entrepreneur, I always try to support the local businesses. Especially the local retail shops and restaurants… (You won’t find me at Olive Garden).

So this spring, when it came time for my wife and I to buy plants, instead of going to Home Depot or Lowes, we went to Bristol’s, a local place right near my house.

We bought four beautiful plants to put outside our door. They all had equal sun and were watered the same.

One died. The three remaining plants flourished.

I brought the dead one back to Bristol’s with the receipt. I thought that since Home Depot takes anything back, anytime, Bristol’s would at least try to give me an exchange to make a happy customer and compete with the Goliath up the street.

Wrong.

They told me I had to come back the next day to speak to Margaret. She wasn’t in at that time.

So, I went back the next day and explained my situation to Margaret. She told me that I must have not watered it enough. I explained the other three plants are doing well and asked why would this one die?

Then she accused me of repotting it. I showed her the Bristol’s sticker on the pot and squashed that excuse.

Then she said there was nothing she could do. She told that if they replaced every plant that someone killed from lack of water, they would go out of business. (Wait, I thought we already covered the water excuse…)

I told Margaret that this is a shame because I really like to support local businesses and with her attitude and “policy” she was making it difficult.

Then, I tested her for a response. I almost know she was going to say it, but I wanted to hear it for myself.

I said to her, “Geez, I really love shopping here but your policy makes it tough because I can buy something at Home Depot and return it for any reason.”

“Well, maybe you should go back to Home Depot then.”

Yep, she said it.

She had a loyal customer that had been shopping there for years, standing right in front of her and she told him to go Home Depot.

Unbelievable.

Well, there’s my story of my last visit to Bristol’s. It’s a shame, because they have nice stuff. I live one mile away; I am 38 and probably spend $500 a year there. If I continue to live here and live to 75, that’s $18,500 they just threw away.

And I know a ton of people. There goes some good word of mouth advertising too.

I wonder how many $18,500 customers Margaret has thrown away.

My point is not to throw Margaret or Bristol’s under the bus. (Or under the topsoil?)
I simply want local retail to survive. Nothing makes me more unhappy than when I go into a town and the only restaurant choices are Cracker Barrel, Denny’s, Bob Evan’s and Applebee’s.

I want to underdog to win!

Margaret won the battle and lost war.

If that was my store, I would have empathized with the customer, found a suitable replacement and thrown in some plant food for good measure. My goal would have been to have that customer leaving with a huge smile on his face.

I would have wanted him to have felt “WOWED!”

Why? Because he would come back often and talked about his experience to others.

He may have even written about it in his blog….

The only way local retail will survive is to make the customer feel so special. A special feeling that one can’t get at big box stores. They can remember names, birthdays, etc…

But more importantly, they have to stand behind their product.

2 Comments:

At July 9, 2007 at 8:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some businesses don't seem to get "IT" anymore. I had a bad experience with Nextel this weekend. They just seem to not listen — no one is listening anymore.

It is frustrating as a person who works for such a great company (Next Step Magazine) that practices "getting it" everyday to have to deal with all the other companies that don't want to have to get it. They assume that customers HAVE to buy from them.

Thanks for putting it in writing that the consumer is frustrated. I thought all weekend about sending a letter to Nextel's customer service. Now I think I will!

 
At July 17, 2007 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Anne-Marie said...

In the small town of Bellingham, WA where I live, we have this great "Buy Local" campaign. I love the campaign because it really encourages our citizens to think about sustainability. But, I also feel like sometimes, it puts a precedence over buying local rather than service. For example, I like using my credit card to pay for business coffee meetings because it's more easily tracked. Yet, I'm branded a bit of a traitor to the "local" cause if I go to Starbucks. But um, my local fav joint doesn't take cards.

Being local is supposed to be about being responsive to customer needs and doing everything you can to keep up with the big guys.

Shopping local shouldn't be something I do out of guilt. It should be something I do because I truly get better service and as a bonus, I get to help my community out in the end.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home