Thursday, July 26, 2007

Creating a High Octane Culture - Part 3

The third step in creating a high octane culture is having a performance review – for the CEO!

If you're the leader of a company, who reviews you? Of course, you are probably thinking that everyone "gets" you and your company is some kind of special "utopia land."

Why in the world would you need a review? You have this special talent that enables you to connect with people, therefore providing the perfect work environment for your employees and customers, right?

WRONG!

I am going to guess that your perception of your leadership vs. your employee's perception is at least, slightly different.

So it's time for your employees to give YOU a performance review. Have your managers gather the results and present them to you as a team.

Got ego? Lose it.

Many company leaders are too full of themselves to be subjected to feedback. Hey, open up baby. You'll only being doing yourself a favor.

I did it last month. It was the most enjoyable punch in the stomach I ever had.

I found out what I'm great at and what I suck at (according to my staff). The rub is, they were spot on! I couldn't deny anything!

I learned I should spend more time with/on sales, engaging with clients/partners and more public speaking. I'm the relationship guy! I can sell anything to anybody! But most importantly, myself.

And it's all good because my products are good, and I am good! (no snake oil salesman here folks...)

I also learned that I should get my finger out of general operations because I get in the way of them.

It was all constructive, relevant feedback and nobody took any pot shots.

Here's the catch. You have to insist to your managers to bring it on. Don't let them hold anything back.

Laura Hammond, one of Next Step's VP's asked me the week before my review, "Hey, some of this feedback is not so pretty. And, you can fire us. Are we safe to tell you the good, the bad and the ugly?"

I told her I would fire them if they DIDN'T give it to me straight!

As a result of my review, I created a new job description for myself and have found a good groove.

So there is step three - review the CEO!

For previous steps, go to:
http://www.nextstepmagazine.com/blog/2007/07/creating-high-octane-culture-part-2.html

Step four - coming soon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home