Monday, September 8, 2008

Dave's New Weight Loss Plan

Great entrepreneurship begins with a healthy body. Today, it all starts for me.

Everyone who knows me is chuckling right now because they have heard me declare my intentions to lose weight and get really healthy for years now. It usually happens on Mondays (wait, today is Monday!). I have had many different plans (schemes) to get healthy and lose weight and unfortunately my family and the patient folks at Next Step Magazine have had to endure my talking of these plans that go nowhere.

One of my favorite plans is when I went to Wegmans one day and bought a ton of different frozen vegetable combinations. I put them in the freezer at work and was going to defrost one a day for lunch. Sounds like a healthy lunch, right?

Well that was three years ago. Anyone for some frozen brussel sprouts? I think I may still have some….

Anyway, I am ready to start anew and have created a realistic plan (I hope) to conquer my health goals. This time I am serious. STOP THE INSANITY!

It’s not that I am massively overweight. If I lost 20 pounds, that would do the trick. I would be in the “zone.” My cholesterol would go down to a healthy level (so my doctor tells me) and I would have the energy I need to run a small business while raising a young family.

I figured I would create a vision of what it looks like when I have reached success. Then I thought I should create a strategic plan on how I’ll actually get there. To make me more accountable, I have posted the plan below. If you see me cheating, please whack me on the side of the head as hard as you can. The toughest part of this plan for me is giving up the glass of red wine with dinner every night. This has been a staple for me for years. Do they make a patch for this?

Anyway, here is the plan. If you have any suggestions, please feel free get in touch at David@nextstepmag.com.

Dave’s weight loss plan

Vision:
I am fit, trim and feeling massively energetic. My blood pressure and cholesterol are at healthy levels and I weigh 180 pounds or less.

Current:
9/8/08 = 203 pounds

Goals:
10/1 = 195
11/1 = 190
12/1 = 185
1/1/09 = 180

Strategic Plan

Exercise:
One hour a day, six days a week. Work-out video/treadmill/elliptical.

Breakfast choices:
Oatmeal
Wheat toast – dry
Egg whites
Fruit

Lunch choices:
Salad
Fish (baked or grilled)
Sandwich – wheat bread, low fat protein, no cheese
Fruit

Dinners:
Cut down on pasta serving size
Low fat proteins
Salad
WATCH PORTIONS

Other:
• 10am and 3pm snacks – almonds/walnuts, ½ Clif Bar
• No eating after 7pm
• No desserts
• No wine with dinner every night. (This saves 100 calories per night. 700 per week!)

3 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already tried it, you may want to check out SparkPeople.com. It's a free site that helps you meet your weight loss/health goals. It's a huge site that you could get lost in, but you can keep it simple, too -- the most useful component is the food tracker. It gives you calorie, fat, carb and protein goals so you can keep your diet balanced. It also helps to ensure that you're not eating too few calories (which can actually hinder weight loss!)

 
At September 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

Great that I mentioned the glass of wine anology today.

Everyone who reads your blog should look for ways to "trim the mental fat." Excellence requires 100% committment. No more rationalization that you are the best in your circle of influence.

Be world class :)

Good luck with your goal.

I use www.myfooddairy.com that helps me get instant feedback on my health habits and track my goals.

Cheers,
Jenn

 
At September 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

The key to real fitness for me is what I call the fitness trifecta: weight training, aerobic training and good nutrition.

If you're consistent with this, success will be yours!

I'm 41 and in the best shape of my life.

If I can do it, anyone can!

- Jeff

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home