Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How’s the family?

When you meet a successful businessperson, I would look to see if their success extends beyond business. Are they raising their kids? Are they happy? Do they lead an honorable life?

This was some advice given to me by Jay Goltz, a seasoned entrepreneur who founded The Goltz Group, which comprises Artists’ Frame Service, Jayson Home & Garden, and Chicago Art Source (www.jaygoltz.com). He is also the author of a book called “The Street Smart Entrepreneur.” You can check out Jay’s blog at http://blog.inc.com/boss-school/.

I recently met Jay at an Inc. Magazine Small Business Summit in Aspen, CO. I’ve read about his success before and was anxious to pick his brain for some entrepreneurial insights. I think he sensed that I am a lush for entrepreneurial advice and was very willing to chat about his successes and mistakes.

One thing he is very proud of is his successful family. Jay has three kids and a great wife and he puts their success and time spent with them into the formula for his own success. We were talking about all the “successful and famous” business titans covered in today’s media and were wondering what their families are like?

Many times a “successful” business owner will work and travel so much, his kids will grow up without him or his influence. Work is not a place to escape to and declare, “I am doing it for my family!” That statement is a bunch of bull. If you were doing something for your family, you’d be spending time with them.

I have often seen this with my own eyes. A business leader will be in all the right magazines and newspapers and look like he is superman, but then behind the scenes his kids are nowhere near being well-functioning.

Jay encouraged me to throw in “time spent with the kids/family” as part of my formula for success.

I agree completely. Success can not be lopsided. A truly successful entrepreneur will work hard to balance both family and work.

Thanks for the reinforcing advice Jay!

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2008 at 6:15 AM , Blogger Naomi Simson said...

We show the whole team top line performance to budget and also Ebitda. We've found that people really respect our transparency. They want to know that we are doing well.

We think this has had a great impact on our Hewitt Employer of Choice independent score card - 97% of RedBallooners (my team) are highly engaged. Have a look at this lot.

http://www.redballoondays.com.au/howitworks/aboutus.cfm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home