Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sears - No More in 10 Years

I predict that Sears will no longer exist in 10 years.

Question - have they updated their stores in the last 25 years? I am guessing no. If I ever feel like having a flashback of my Garanimal/Toughskin years of the 70’s, all I need to do is to take a stroll through their isles.

I can almost hear the theme of The Brady Bunch…Oh no wait, that’s The Partridge Family. Sorry.

Anyway, I say this not only because of the polyester plaid pants memories they induce, but because of their lack of customer service. Have you been there lately? Excuse my French, but it sucks! It almost like they don’t care.

The only time I enter Sears is for their portrait studio. Let me rephrase that – The only time I entered Sears was for their portrait studio. I have small kids, and my wife bought one of those “Super Saver” discount cards. Seemed like a good deal at the time…

I dreaded every time it was Sears photo time. They have one static camera bolted to the ground and the photographer is usually someone whose past photography experience is taking a photo of her friends at a recent high school party. I am willing to bet their employment ads say “No Experience Necessary.”

My kids were always a nightmare at the photo shoot because they wouldn’t sit still for their huge, non-moving camera. Ok, you could say this was my fault but doesn’t a talented photographer know how to make kids have fun during the photo session?

I would always bring my rosary beads and pray hard for just one photo to come out acceptable. Most of them usually had my daughter crying while my son was darting out of the photo area because he saw a germ infested teddy bear on the shelf that he wanted to play with.

Many times there would be a good three second period when both kids looked like angels. My wife and I would scream at the “photographer,” “TAKE IT! TAKE IT NOW!”

Inevitably she would be three seconds too late and the great photo turned into my daughter crying and my son darting away.

I used to have to change my cloths upon return home from those sessions because of all the sweat I created. The question always was, “Do I change my clothes before or after the stiff drink?”

Now, let me get back to why I think Sears is going bye-bye. First of all, I can’t understand why someone would go to Sears today instead of Target or Wal-Mart for the department store aspect of it and Home Depot or Lowes, for the home improvement aspect of it. Maybe price? Actually, that’s why we chose the portrait studio. But, people want more than price; they want service too. And they also don’t want to feel like it’s 1977.

Here’s a recent example of Sears pending demise. My wife showed up last week, as a walk-in, to get the kids’ photos taken. Sears says that walk-ins are welcome, so my wife actually believed it.

It was 10:45am. The woman apologized and said that she would not be able to take her in because of an 11:30 appointment. That was 45 minutes. More than enough time to endure the torture, right?

Wrong. The woman said that the photos could be taken within that time, but she would need more time to choose the photos and order. My wife said, “Ok, let’s take the photos now and then I’ll come back later to choose and order.”

The minion at the desk apologized again and said that it was not possible. Everything had to be done at once.

Wow, really hungry for that business, eh? These kind of dictates come from the “leaders” above her. And I can tell these “leaders” are really in touch with their customers. So accommodating…NOT. They might want to send their resumes to North Korea after Sears closes. I am sure Kim Jong needs some mindless, emotionless enforcers for his regime.

So, did my wife get mad? More like happy. You know why? Because after she stormed out of there, she walked around the mall and found a place called Portrait Simple. She walked-in and they were happy to see her. They kindly invited her in, made the kids smile and immediately started taking awesome photos. The photographer was a pro, not only in photography, but in customer service.

My wife said the kids actually had fun.

And the photographer did not have a camera bolted to the ground; rather a camera that she held, so was therefore able to move around and take tons of photos at will. The photos turned out great. We walked in yesterday to take more; as a family.

Portrait Simple is true to their name. The actually should be called Portrait Simple, Fun and Great Service.

They have new customers called the Mammano Family.

At Sears, you HAVE to take six different poses, otherwise they won’t sell you anything. I have a friend whose child is autistic, and wouldn’t sit still for the six Sears shots. The kid ran out after the third. Guess what? The mother was not allowed to buy ANY of the shots because her child did not complete the six poses. So instead of selling a mother lots of great shots from the first (only) three, she was forced to storm out, empty handed and massively upset.

Now this is just plain stupidity. When people are trying to give a company money and they won’t take it, well, that’s usually the beginning of the end.

Guess how may poses Portrait Simple requires you to take. None. It’s like they studied what Sears has been doing wrong in their portrait studio and decided to do the exact opposite.

I think Richard Warren Sears, founder of Sears must be shedding a tear.

12 Comments:

At June 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, David. My first 'real' job if you don't count all the lawns I cut, was at Sears Marketplace in the paint department. I agree that the store feels like the same darn place after all these years. That's not good.

I wonder if they will sell-off the brand at some point?

 
At August 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM , Blogger workingmom said...

Wow,I guess I am old fashioned, but Sears has been a staple for clothing for my family that I would not give up. Regardless of the 70's feel, they still provide us mom's with priced right durable clothing that stands up to the test of time for kids. I would not buy from Target or Walmart if you paid me. After just a few washings, their clothes, shrink, fade, loose their shape, ravel, etc. As for my working husband, only Sears carries the quality work T-shirts, that are not paper thin, again at the right price.

As for their photos, I would love to share my 2 year old's photos with you. Absolutely beautiful! And for a 1/4 of the price from what the "Professionals" charged me 14 years ago for my older children. Children are not patient by nature, you should always arrange an appointment during their "happy" time and not take any chances on waiting for walk-ins.
I do agree that I would love to see an updated decor, but I'll take the quality over the glitz any day.
As far as customer service, do you know of any other tool supplier that has a lifetime guarantee? We have yet to see anyone other than Sears honor it, and considering both my husband and I own and use power tools, we have put it to the test more than once.
Home Depot? Forget it, they are usually high school kids with little to no knowledge. Service? Likewise. When they say "you can do it", they mean it.

 
At December 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ilokowubi.kogaryu.com/wyjupon.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

 
At December 18, 2009 at 5:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://fymewoneg.1accesshost.com/madynok.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

 
At December 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Stephen Giesen said...

Why not go to a Sears Hometown
Store? These are stores owned
and operated by small business people who are dedicated to
selling limited lines of Sears
products in smaller markets.
I believe that you will find a
different type of Sears at these
stores.
My wife and I have run a sucessful
Sears Hometown Store in Pagosa
Springs, Colorado for the last ten
years. One of the great pleasures
of owning our store is having the
ability to both serve and interact
with friends and neighbors in our community.
If you are ever in Pagosa Springs
I invite you to come into our
store and experience this firsthand.

 
At January 7, 2010 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At January 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who loves to taste innovative stuff. Right now I'm making my private photovoltaic panels. I am doing it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive that. I encountered a very awesome website that explains how to create pv panels and so on. The site explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure bout how precise the data given there iz. If some guys over here who have xp with these works can have a look and give your feedback in the page it would be great and I'd extremely appreciate it, cauze I really like solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You people are the best.

 
At January 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 
At January 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real income.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 
At February 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

 
At February 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I contemplate the brief should prepare more info then it has.

 
At March 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magician alone [url=http://itkyiy.com/lasonic-lta-260/]lta chile[/url] just fine [url=http://itkyiy.com/methylprednisolone-acetate/]methylprednisolone and alcohol[/url] hollow eye [url=http://itkyiy.com/sces/]sce discounts[/url] something bad [url=http://itkyiy.com/k-chlor/]atenolol chlor[/url] much more [url=http://itkyiy.com/epipen-online-video/]epipen and production and cost[/url] had hoped [url=http://itkyiy.com/bio-identical-estrogens/]overweight women estrogens hairy[/url] isle looked [url=http://itkyiy.com/vertigo-meclizine/]side effects of meclizine[/url] and get [url=http://itkyiy.com/goody's-credit-card-bill/]goody's warn notice[/url] ends did [url=http://itkyiy.com/sodium-xylene-sulfonate/]barium diphenylamine sulfonate[/url] done yet [url=http://itkyiy.com/technetium-99m/]technetium ecd[/url] interest only [url=http://itkyiy.com/siberian-ginseng-increasing-testosterone/]ginseng and medicine[/url] one the [url=http://itkyiy.com/dr-jonas-salk-biography/]salk contemporary[/url] words exactly [url=http://itkyiy.com/fond-du-lac-reservation-tribal-enrollment/]fond du lac wi newspaper[/url] the last [url=http://itkyiy.com/tramadol-vs-vicodin/]online pharmacy vicodin hydrocodone[/url] ghosts can [url=http://itkyiy.com/removing-chlorine-with-sodium-thiosulfate/]sodium thiosulfate vs hydrochloric acid[/url] young woman [url=http://itkyiy.com/peekaboo-petites/]cleo petites[/url] were cute [url=http://itkyiy.com/tummy-tucks-brooklyn/]table that tucks into sofa[/url] watch out [url=http://itkyiy.com/turbo-backup-pep/]pep plus turbo backup[/url] they didn [url=http://itkyiy.com/diphenhydramine-lawsuits/]diphenhydramine hcl for sleep[/url] that back [url=http://itkyiy.com/ethyl-epa-purified/]purified compressed air[/url] mat she attanes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home