Wednesday, May 6, 2009

America’s schools need a Ctrl, Alt, Delete. (Reset)

Last month, I wrote about how basic life and financial skills are not required to be taught in our schools. We continue to teach the same core subjects that were taught in the 1940’s. The world has changed tremendously but our street smarts have not kept up.

Here are some facts of how America has changed since the year 2000 (as reported in the January/February 2009 issue of The Atlantic Magazine).

Hours of video game per person/per year: 2000: 65 2008: 80
Personal Savings (% of income): 2000: 2.3% 2008: 0.6%
Consumer Credit Card Debt: 2000: $684 billion 2008: $966 billion
Gross federal debt as % of GDP: 2000: 58% 2008: 67.5%
Family Health Care premiums (average): 2000: $6438 2008: $12,680
States with obesity rates below 20%: 2000: 28 2008: 1
People without life insurance: 2000: 39.8 million 2008: 45.7 million
People in Poverty: 2000: 31 million 2008: 37 million
Inmates in custody: 2000: 1.9 million 2008: 2.3 million
Street Price/gram of Meth: 2000: $180 2008: $365
Hours of TV per person: 2000: 1502 2008: 1704
Market cap of GM (General Motors): 2000: $28 billion 2008: $3 billion
Market cap of Apple Computer: 2000: $5.5 billion 2008: $88 billion
* We love our iPods!


I see some trends.

Albert Einstein once said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

I am not saying we need to remove science or math courses; we definitely need to produce more scientists and mathematicians from our country. But not everyone is going to be a scientist. But everyone needs basic financial and life skills in order to be a well functioning adult.

So why are we teaching courses that only a few will need and not teaching courses that everyone will need? I think it’s a good question that deserves an answer.

Our schools have basically been doing the same thing over and over again for a long time. It’s time for an overhaul so that our youth will be prepared for life; a life without credit card debt and health problems due to poor eating/lifestyle choices; a life where a person has the skills in order to implement a life strategy that involves saving money, proactive planning and a basic understanding of finance, accounting and life skills.

Here is my dream. At the age of 18, upon high school graduation, the average American knows:

The basics of money – Interest, compound interest and understands the destructive forces of personal debt. Money is a tool to be used.

The power of a good career – Taking the time to access one’s natural strengths and matching a career path to it. A secret to a fulfilling life is finding a purpose and a good career can often be a big part of this.

Banking – Being able to manage one’s finances, manage a checkbook, read a basic financial statement (most people will have a 401K/IRA but can they read and understand the where and how their money is doing?).

Ethics – Understanding integrity and the power of compound honesty. Knowing that there are no long term short cuts.

Budgeting – Creating one and living on a budget. Having a pro forma for life. Knowing what a pro forma is! Establishing credit and then using credit properly. Understanding that you can’t buy a $500K house on a $50K salary.

Food – Knowing the basics of good eating. Being able to cook some meals. Knowing the destruction that take place in one’s body over the long haul with bad food choices.

Overall health – Having an exercise strategy that becomes a daily/weekly habit.

Investing – Knowing about stocks, bonds, mutual funds and the risks that come with it. CDs and Money Market accounts. Planning for retirement.

Insurance basics – Understanding of health, car, home, disability and life insurance.

Imagine if your average American teen graduated high school with an understanding of these skills. How much better would you feel about our future?

Now imagine if today your average American had these skills. Maybe we’d be in a different place today?

I am not just venting here. I am actually going to do something about it. Stay tuned and/or e-mail me if you want to help. I can be reached at: David@nextSTEPmag.com

9 Comments:

At May 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM , Anonymous Mike Gastin said...

Dave, two words: Home school. ;)

 
At May 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous David said...

Ahhh...Mike...if only all parents would like you and Lydia... I am not sure I want some of our parents passing on their "knowledge..."

 
At May 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM , Anonymous Mike Gastin said...

What's so special about us? Besides, ALL parents pass along their knowledge, their worldview, their hang-ups, the values, their philosophies and so on. That is what happens in a family either purposefully or inadvertently.

The father with low self esteem and no job is passing along more that we like to admit. The father who attends every game, works two jobs and buys his wife flowers every friday is also passing along to his kids.

My point with suggesting home school is that if you don't like the way the system does things take the entrepreneur's attitude and do it your self and do it better. Like any entrepreneurial endeavor, it will take a lot of sacrifice, but the returns are way better than what you get when you drop little Eddie off at the local kid warehouse.

BTW, you sound sarcastic abut Lydia and I. Better watch your step, Mamanno.

 
At May 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM , Anonymous David said...

Mike,

Good points and I applaud you for your proactive approach to your kids' education.

As an entrepreneur, it makes sense for you to take matters in your own handa. I, too, have a different idea (note I said different, not neccessarily better than yours)that is another entreprenurial solution. More to come on that.

And Mike, rest assured that I was not being saracastic in any way whatsoever. That was a serious comment from me. I really don't think all parents are qualified to home school. My point was, if all parents were as outstanding/intelligent as you and Lydia, then I would change my tune and make it a broader statement.

It would "behoove" you to take compliments for what they are not assume they are sarcastic. :-)

Love ya Mr. Trigger Temper...

 
At May 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM , Anonymous Mike Gastin said...

Lol! I knew you did not mean it as sarcasm. I should have put a little more 'funny' in my last paragraph. But, I will behoove regardless, just to play it safe. ;)

I am interested in your solution. Looking forward to it when you roll it out. There is certainly an issue with our nation's educational approach and a lot of ideas on how to make it better. I assume you will post here when you are ready for the reveal.

Peace!

 
At May 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous Dave said...

Gotta love e-mail. I could make a million dollars if I could invent a way to have email display non-verbal communication!

Love ya!
Dave

 
At June 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Couldn't have said it better myself Dave!!!

 
At February 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who enjoys to try unprecedented things. Currently I'm constructing my personal pv panels. I'm making it all alone without the assistance of my staff. I am using the net as the only way to acheive that. I came across a truly amazing site which explains how to make solar panels and so on. The place explains all the steps involved in photovoltaic panel building.

I'm not sure about how precise the information given there is. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the site it will be grand and I would extremely value it, because I extremely love [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. U people rock.

 
At March 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[ ... ] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @zenx, an influential author, said RT @1ndus: Xtreme [ ... ]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home