Saturday, April 28, 2007

Giving Back

There is a new book out called “The Secret.” You have probably heard of it. I think the stuff in it is great, except I don't think it's much of a secret. I have known for years, that the more goodness you put into the universe, the more it gives you back.

When I started The Next Step Magazine, I was so grateful to have the opportunity to start a business, I felt the need to give back right away. I had always thought about volunteering at Camp Good Days and Special Times, a local camp for kids with cancer. I decided that within one minute I would find a phone book and call to volunteer. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I originally thought it would be a very sad experience; considering that many of these kids had terminal cancer. But I never felt more alive. These kids were playing, laughing and running around like they did not have a problem in the world. I thought to myself that I would never complain about any of my "pressing problems" again. This experience has also left me with little patience for healthy people who incessantly complain about how "tough" their life is. I want to smack them and say "Get a grip you fool!"

And sometimes I do. I also have fewer friends than I used to, but that's another post.

Anyway, the point is that I feel it is my duty to invest some of my success in others. I feel so incredibly lucky to be here in a country where anyone with a good idea who wants to work her/her posterior off, can start a successful business and create the life they desire for themselves and their family. How lucky is that? That's not possible in most countries!

To show my gratitude, I have become involved in many volunteer and fund raising activities. Just yesterday, I volunteered my day to a city elementary school and did J.A. for a Day (Junior Achievement). Once again, it not only made an impact on 20 fifth graders, it left me feeling incredible!

To be clear, I am not saying that you should give back only to feel good or get more out of the universe. That sounds rather selfish! Those outcomes are just icing on the cake. The core of what you are doing is filling in the pieces of the world that need you, and it turn, the universe will give you the pieces that you need when the time is right.

There is nothing worse than a successful person that does not give back. I assure you their success is fleeting.

If you liked the "The Secret," I suggest you read some of the original writings on this subject. I suggest "The Strangest Secret" by Earl Nightingale, and "The Greatest Secret in the World" by Og Mandino.

I leave you with the question, “What deposit are you going to make in the universe today?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home